Thursday, January 1, 2009


This photo was taken at the hospital but I do think it's a pretty poetic representation of my physical condition the past few days.

Between breastfeeding and shoving ice packs down my pants, life at home has been pretty raw. I reached my breaking point last night, though, when I couldn't fathom keeping Maggie on my breast another second. Graham was really patient and encouraging through my tears and suggested we find a lactation consultant to come by the house. Initially this sounded extravagant to me but he reasoned that all the money that we're saving by not bottle feeding should even it out.

My God, I am so happy we did this. Google brought us to the most incredible woman who emailed me back in minutes and was at our house in 2 hours. Unbelievable. At first, I was afraid she would just call me a wuss but she affirmed everything I was feeling and explained how my positioning with Maggie was affecting my body. She taught me good technique, encouraged me to pump my left breast for the next day (because it's just too sore to continue) and gave me the name of a good prescription ointment that I can pick up tomorrow. We spent $90 for the session. I would've spent so much more.

God bless Kathleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment